It’s the end of March / beginning of April and the weather has been mostly warm and dry with a few showers today. The crocuses have peaked and the daffodils are in full bloom. The chorus frogs are singing away and I just saw 2 bats fly over my head this last week one evening when I was out front talking to my neighbor Lenny. The ice on the lake went out 2-3 weeks ago and last two weekends I saw several loons out there, resting on their way north. Last week also saw the arrival of blue jays, goldfinches and tree swallows.
I planted peas back on March 14 and then, assuming the seeds weren’t viable or that the squirrels dig them up, planted one more at each stake. Now it looks like the ground simply wasn’t warm enough as they all seem to be coming up. I haven’t grown peas before and am excited to see how this turns out. I sowed a variety that only grows 2 feet high but still requires support. I purchased 3 foot ong pieces of bamboo and then sunk those into the ground in pairs bound at the top so they form upside-down V’s. Since I am doing this in a 4’x4′ box, I only had room to erect 4 pairs of stakes. Initially I sowed a pea on either side of each stake and then added a third just underneath. I’ll probably have to thin these out so that only one or two plants is growing up each stake. And there might not be an advantage to having two pea plants compete for the same stake if they just interfere with each other.
Yesterday I was out in the garage pulling nails when I noticed a few pale, pathetic looking plants trying to grow in some clay pots I have. It turns out that these were sorrel plants that I started from seed in the pots last year. I was completely negligent of these things and they dried out and wilted a number of times over the summer. When winter arrived, I moved the frozen pots with the scrawny leaves into the garage. There they sat dormant until recently when the warmth and the faintest amount of light triggered another hopeful attempt at a better life. And their persistence has paid off as I transplanted them into the bed with the peas.
Of course, to make room, I had to pull out the tiny columbine seedlings that must have drifted over from the bed to the west of the pea bed. These were moved to the north side of the garage which is a five foot strip of bark chips between my garage and a chain-link fenced-in dog-run/weed patch in Lenny’s backyard. As nature hates a vacuum, I figured I should start planting things I like as a defensive move. That’s how some hostas ended up there and why I will be seeding the dog-run with lavender hyssop, Agastache foeniculum. Native to the eastern U.S., I’m actually only familiar with it in planted settings rather than in the wild. A nearby coffee shop has a dense stand of it in the backyard. It has a long bloom period and is very attractive to bees and hummingbirds. I just found out my other neighbor’s backyard beehive didn’t survive the winter and he had to replace the bees. Hopefully this will create a strong nectar source for the bees. and then maybe I can get some honey!
Lavender hyssop from Prairie Nursery.
As I was planting little bits of columbine along the dog-run fence, I couldn’t help but notice that the weeds in the dog-run were already getting thick. A co-worker had confirmed to me that vinegar is an effective herbicide, especially early in the season. He explained that the vinegar doesn’t poison the plant as most herbicides do. Rather, it burns the leaves, leaving them wilted and unable to perform photosynthesis. So I sprayed away this morning. Dandelions, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard. By the time I checked back this afternoon, the dandelions were already looking wilted. I’ll keep this up every couple days until the seeds arrive in the mail. with any luck, the hyssop will establish and bloom like mad.