This past weekend was a major gardening weekend. Saturday April 17th my daughter and I went down to a huge nursery 10 miles south of town. I purchased 4 sedges (Carex plantaginea), six wild gingers (Asarum canadense), 3 Siberian Irises (Iris siberica), and a pair of English violets (Viola hybrida ‘Etain’). Most of the plants went in the front garden. The exceptions were the wild gingers. Those went on the north side of the garage where I am trying to reclaim. These didn’t go in the giant weed patch / dog run but between that and the garage, intermingled with the Columbines that I transplanted from other places around the yard.
Sunday morning I dug up the prairie plants on the south side of the garage and decided to plant them in the greenway across the street from our house. There is about an acre of land that is neglected by the city but used as a walking area by the neighbors. The open field is primarily inhabited by reed canary grass and a variety of other common weeds so I doubt anyone will mind that I planted 20 prairie plants out there. Rudbeckias, ironweeds, monards, spiderworts, and sunflowers, etc. People probably thought I was crazy as they biked along the bike path that traverses the greenway and saw me digging holes in the middle of a field with a kid on my back. At least one neighbor was into it, though. I told Steve what I was doing an he offered to raise plants in his backyard and then transplant them. Maybe I’ll post something on craigslist and see if anyone else wants to contribute….
Steve also told me that our mushroom kit order had arrived. I purchased 6 dowel plugs that will grow Wine Cap Stropharia and about 100 dowel plugs that will grow oyster mushrooms. The stropharia plugs are 2-inch dowels that are covered in mycelium. These you just jam into the ground in an area full of decomposed wood chips. I planted(?) those on the north side of the house. For the oyster plugs, I needed to drill inch in holes into the logs I picked up this winter from where the crews cleared the railroad right-of-way. After drilling the holes, I just tapped the dowels in with a hammer. since they were wet and covered in mycelium, they fit in very snug-ly. Now I need to water my mushroom logs. Go figure.
And as a prelude ti this weekend’s activities, I received 30 Canada anemones (Anemone canadensis) in the mail from a nursery. These will replace the prairie plants I moved to the greenway. They’ll stay nice and low and they have a nice long bloom time. They also spread nicely. I also received the Lavender hyssop seed with the anemones. Liam has most of the weeds and topsoil removed from the dogrun / weed patch so these will get planted soon.